Greek Christmas Customs & Traditions: Vasilopita, Greek New Year's Cake


The gorgeous Gogo's Carrot cake/Vasilopita  Made by Mamatsita with meraki!
The gorgeous Gogo's Carrot cake/Vasilopita

Made by Mamatsita with meraki!



One of the marvellous things about living in Greece is I get to celebrate Christmas twice.

Greeks do celebrate Christmas on 25th December, but as a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.

 Santa Claus, who, in The Greek Orthodox Church, is Saint Vasilios (Basil), and not Saint Nicholas, arrives with his sack of presents at New Year.

 (The first of January is Saint Vasilios, or Agios Vasilis’s Feast Day.)




Agios Vasilios or Saint Basil.
Agios Vasilios or Saint Basil.

The Greek Santa Claus

Visits at New Year




Albeit living in Greece for thirty eight years, I just can’t give up my English Christmas, hence the double celebration, which does have its pros and cons, twice the fun, twice the work.

This also means two Christmas cakes, traditional English and the Greek Vasilopita.


The Vasilopita, Greek Christmas or New Years’s cake, takes its name from Saint Vasilios, Bishop of Caesarea.





Saint Vasilios  Bishop of Caesarea
Saint Vasilios

Bishop of Caesarea




 Legend has it, that, back in the fourth century, Saint Vasilios, known for his kindness and compassion, was racking his brains, trying to come up with a way to distribute money to the needy of Caesarea, without embarrassing them.

The idea, of concealing coins in specially baked bread, sweetened and distributed to the citizens of Caesarea, as a symbol of sweetness and joy for the coming year, seemed as good an idea as any to him.

This custom, with its wonderful story, is still observed today, in every Greek home.

Down the years, Vasilopita has evolved from simple sweetened bread, into any type of cake, simple or luxurious, (containing a lucky coin, the Flouri in Greek) to be traditionally cut at midnight on New Year’s Eve, by the head of the family.




Vasiliopita
Vasiliopita

Greek New Year's cake with Flouri (Lucky coin)



Vasilopita is not cut into any old way, the protocol is as follows:

The Vasilopita is scored with the sign of the Cross; the first slice goes to Jesus Christ, the second to The Virgin Mary, the third to Saint Vasilios, the fourth to the family house, and, from then on, in order of age, to each member of the family.

Whoever finds the coin, will be blessed with good luck, health and happiness for the coming year.




Constantinato or Flouri

Lucky gold coin

I spent ages, looking for my lucky gold coin, to put in my Vasilopita.
Then, I remembered, it's in my Christmas cake!




Our family Vasilopita is usually a boring Madeira cake, dusted with icing sugar, but this year, I’m going to try something new.

I love carrot cake, and when I spotted the gorgeous Gogo’s brilliant idea of making one for her New Year’s Vasilopita, I was hooked!




Mamatsita's delicious carrot cake/Vasilopita
Mamatsita's delicious carrot cake/Vasilopita




Gogo, also known as Mamatsita, famous all over Greece, for her informative and enjoyable cooking show; "Let's Eat Together", aired on  Greek national television,  is a mother, forever on the go, cooking up a storm, be it on the streets for festivals, in supermarkets for promotions or at home, for her wonderful family.






The Gorgeous Gogo  AKA Mamatsita
The Gorgeous Gogo

AKA Mamatsita



I don’t know where Gogo finds the time to charge her batteries, along with all the above, Gogo also runs the tremendously successful food blog “Mamatsita”.

Have a look at  MAMATSITA, (Find the recipe for Gogo's carrot cake here) you’ll love it, simple, easy to follow, everyday recipes, that time and time again, turn out perfect results, and I can vouch for that, I’ve tried more than a few.

For “Non Greekers”, don’t worry, just "right click" with your mouse and translate with Google, not perfect, but, you’ll understand enough to create Gogo’s mouth-watering dishes.

Once again, thank you Gogo, for your delightful recipes, I’ll let you know how my carrot cake/Vasilopita goes down with my family, I have no doubts at all about it being a hit.




Mamatsita  Carrot cake/Vasilopita
Mamatsita

Carrot cake/Vasilopita

I can't wait to have a go at making  this delightful cake from Gogo.




 Have the best New Year, Gogo, hope you get  the "Flouri"!

Xronia Polla

(Happy New Year…Greek style)


Learn about more Greek Christmas customs and traditions at the links below:






3 comments:

  1. A lovely an informative post about our beloved new year's cake, our Vasilopita, and a wonderfully inspiring introduction to Gogo. I love Diane Kochilas' cooking show on Alpha TV for her relaxed approach to culinary creations!

    Happy New Year, Susan! All the very best in health and happiness!

    Poppy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poppy, thanks, I made my vasilopita today, Gogo's carrot cake, nice to have a change once in a while, it looks delicious, just have to wait now, to see who the lucky person is, regarding the coin!
      Yes, Diane's TV show is good, as is Gogo's, it's called “Τρώμε Μαζί” on ANT I, have a look, you'll enjoy it.
      Have a wonderful New Year,
      Susan.x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your article and for giving us the chance to read it. It is very helpful and encouraging. Visit my site too.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...