Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

If you like it, why not share it ?...Thanks!

Greek Customs & Traditions: The Red & White March Bracelet

March Bracelet. By   Didadi
March Bracelet. By   Didadi 
Photo Nefeli Maggalousi


Thank goodness February is drawing to a close; I've had enough of bad weather, let’s hope March has something better to offer.

One thing March does have to offer, is one of my favourite Greek customs, the wearing of the “March bracelet”

Traditionally, in Greece, March is considered the first month of spring, and, hopefully, will bring lots of sunshine, nice, hot sunshine!



Spring
Spring


To protect themselves from being burnt by this hot, Greek sun, people, especially children, wear the “March Bracelet”


Red and white yarn is woven together, (The white symbolizing purity, and, the red, life and passion) to create a small bracelet, which is worn, from the first of March.



March Bracelts by Didadi
 Photo Nefeli Maggalousi.



This has to be worn, until, you see the first stork or swallow, returning from migration, or, the first blossoming tree, all heralding, the arrival of spring.



Swallows
Swallows



Once one of these harbingers of spring has been spotted, the bracelet is removed and hung on a fruit tree, in order to keep the tree healthy, lucky, and to make sure of a good harvest of fruit.




March bracelets hanging from a fruit tree.
March bracelets hanging from a fruit tree.




Nowadays, the “Evil Eye” is being incorporated into these quaint bracelets, another Greek custom, protecting against evil.

These can be seen everywhere.




"Evil Eyes"
"Evil Eyes"


 I was given countless little blue, glass “eyes”,
when my children were born, to pin on their clothes, so, warding off evil.




Protecting against "The Evil Eye"
Protecting against "The Evil Eye"


Just look at these quirky items of clothing, you can never be too safe!




Here's looking at you!
Here's looking at you!



Keep evil at bay with a bracelet from Dida Mitrogianni Photo Nefeli Maggousi
Keep evil at bay with a bracelet from Didadi
Photo Nefeli Maggalousi




You can never be too safe!
You can never be too safe!



We have our own “Eye”, hung outside our kitchen door, better to be safe than sorry!




Keeping us safe
Keeping us safe



March is just around the corner, so, I’ll hedge my bets, and find myself a “March Bracelet".


 The tradition, is that these bracelets should be given as presents, apparently they work better this way!


If you happen to be in our area, Loutraki,  keep your friends safe from sunburn, buy them one of these little bracelets, from a talented local girl, my good friend:

 Didadi




March Bracelets . By Dida Mitroyianni.
March Bracelets . By Didadi
 Photo Nefeli Maggalousi


Why not buy a bracelet to protect yourself all year round!

Bracelet by Dida Mitrogianni Photo Nefeli Meggalousi
Bracelet by Didadi
Photo Nefeli Maggalousi


Dida creates the sweetest little  handmade “March Bracelets” as well as many other unique items of handmade jewellery.

Find Didadi on Facebook  HERE   or just ask for her in Loutraki!!!


8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this post. (Yes, by now I've become hooked on your blog and haven't yet made it to mine to start responding to comments, which had been my goal this morning. I just posted a photo on Instagram last night of the 'eye' above our door in our USA Pacific Northwest part of the world. Will go in search of a March bracelet when we return to Greece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words...and for reading my blog, will jump straight over to look at yours.
      We too have an eye outside our door, oh yes, just remembered, you most likely saw it in the post.
      I had better get you a march bracelet for next year, seemingly they are only effective if given as a present!
      Susan
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hey! I am glad to visit your blog. From this I can get some information that I didn’t know before. If you want to know more about country bracelets you can visit pocket and pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I loved your post, I'm always interested to learn more about Greek traditions and customs. I can totally relate, I'm a Norwegian/Portuguese marrying a Greek, I love cooking Greek food, I've already been baptised Greek Orthodox and I study the language 3 hours a week... I'm starting to feel Greeker than the Greeks! We live in London but hope to live in Greece one day to raise our as of yet unborn kids :-) I have a blog I just started too called Miss Portmanteau, I have a lot of Greek readers so I'll be sharing more about cool places to check out in Athens and elsewhere! I have a FB page @missportmanteau and website missportmanteau.com - if of interest!

    Ps. your friend Didadi makes beautiful bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will go in search of a March bracelet when we return to Greece!

    บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do...always good to be on the safe side!
      Susan.x

      Delete
  5. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!.
    Bracelets

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog, I am always absolutely delighted to hear your thoughts, ideas or suggestions.
They make all my efforts worthwhile,.

Please do check back, after leaving a comment, as I make every effort to answer all your remarks promptly.
Thanks,
Susan.x

If you like it, why not share it? Thanks!